Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Song Assassin! The Last Song.

Edward Bear was a Toronto based Canadian pop-rock group, formed originally in 1966 by Larry Evoy and Craig Hemming.  Their band name is derived from A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh, whose "proper" name is Edward Bear.
The band had its biggest hit in 1972, when "Last Song" charted at #1 in Canada and peaked at #3 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.[1] It was awarded a gold disc in March 1973 for selling over one million copies by the Recording Industry Association of America.

"The Last Song" is a tale of obsession, stalkery, and stupidity.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ievU49zAs 

The Last Song

Did you know I go to sleep and
Leave the lights on?  Sissy!
Hoping you'd come by and know
that I was home and still awake
Just a couple of lines into the song and we
Can already see that this guy is pathetic.
But two years go by and still my light's on
Really?  Two things:  1. how many years do you
suppose will have to pass for him to realize what
we have in two lines of a song? Did he say at the beginning, "Ok, I'll give this thing two years and then we'll see where we're at." And 2.  Does he jump in and change the light bulb every time it burns out, or is he some kind of  modern day Edison who has developed the everlasting bulb?  What happens if the bulb burns out after he’s fallen asleep with it still on?  What if the person he is so creepily obsessed with happens to pass by during that short window of time where the bulb has burned out and Edward Bear has nodded off.  That person would then feel as though Edward Bear no longer cares.  This would be a tragedy.

This is hard for me to say but it is all that I can take
Had enough, have you?  What was the deal breaker?


It's the last song I'll ever write for you
Is this to imply that you have written others?  What
were those called?  “The first song?”  Perhaps “Here’s
another Song,” maybe “Time to change the light bulb” or who could forget, “Are you listening to any of my fucking songs?”
It's the last time that I'll tell you just how much I really care  Hey listen, Edward…That would be great!
This is the last song I'll ever sing for you
Again, much appreciated.  It’s not that I don’t dig your vocal stylings, it’s just that my kids are a little weirded out.
You'll come looking for the light
And it won't be there Edward, do you really
think she’ll come looking for the light?  Really?
Come on man, I would think that after TWO YEARS
it’s pretty well determined that this electric vigil you keep referring to bears no significance to your prey.

But I love you. Do you really?
Oh yes I do. Really?
Yes I do

All the times that I spent waiting
wondering where you are.  You know, I could
Probably find the number of a decent therapist.

Always knew the time would come
When I would start to wonder why
And you figured this time would come somewhere
around the two year mark?
Now the time is here
I don't know where you are
Thank God for that.
So I'll write you one more song
But it's the last time that I'll try

That’s what you said last time, when you
wrote that ballad about changing the light
bulb.

Repeat chours:

It's the last song I'll ever write for you
It's the last time that I'll tell you
Just how much I really care
This is the last song I'll ever sing for you
You'll come looking for the light
And it won't be there
But I love you
Oh yes I do
Yes I do

It's the last song I'll ever write for you
It's the last song I'll ever write for you
It's the last song I'll ever write for you
It's the last song I'll ever write for you

If this song was written as some sort of joke,
as a way to mock some loser, then hat’s off
to Edward Bear!  I mean, after all, naming your
band after Winnie The Pooh, is kind of funny.  Who knows, maybe there’s a lost recording out there of
Sebastion Cabot reading this classic.  If not, there certainly should be.  My initial thought though, is if there had been a movie written about this song back in 1972, it would have ended with Susan Blakely, Linda Purl, or Karen Valentine getting murdered.  Or perhaps with Martin Sheen sticking a gun in his mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment